A shipping company had approximately 150 procedures with a total of approximately 2000 pages. During the life of the procedures, many changes were made to the procedures, and a full re-write was necessary.
For this project, more personnel were necessary:
- Fleet Director
- Marine Engineer
- Master Mariner
- An editor who knows simplified English and American English.
The source procedures had these language problems
The source procedures had many problems:
- The procedures were too long. On average, each procedure was 13 pages.
- The visual design was bad.
- The Microsoft Word template contained many unnecessary styles.
- The remaining part of this section is about problems that are related to the language.
- Instructions are not clear
- Sentence structure is complex and instructions are not clear
- The source procedures were written by marine experts, not by technical writers. Sentences were too complex and there were no clear instructions, as this example shows:
Budget – $5000-7000
Deadline – To be delivered by 19 Dec 2017